Monday, January 19, 2009

Mediterranean Bread Salad



Ever since I came to college and moved out on my own, I have wanted to learn to cook. I have made several attempts at it over the last few years, but have never actually stuck to my goal. I figured that I could use this blog as a way to gather new recipes and try them out in order to improve my domestic skills (which are currently non-existent). For my first entry, I decided to start out simple. I found this recipe in a book given to me by my mom as a gift last Christmas. It looked easy enough, and after spending the day shopping for the ingredients I was brave enough to give it a shot.

Mediterranean Bread Salad

Ingredients:

2 medium tomatoes chopped

1 yellow bell pepper stemmed, seeded, sliced

½ cucumber halved lengthwise seeded, sliced

½ small red onion thinly sliced

1 tablespoon capers rinsed

½ cup extra virgin olive oil

¼ cup red wine vinegar

Salt and pepper

2 cups garlic and herb croutons

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, pepper, cucumber, onion and capers. In a small bowl, whisk together oil and vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over vegetables and toss to combine.

2. Spread croutons in a single layer in a large platter. Spoon vegetables evenly over croutons. Pour any remaining liquid in bowl over all.


Overall, I'd say my first attempt at making a meal was pretty successful! Although no actual cooking was involved, I am still pretty pleased with the fact that my Mediterranean Salad turned out so great. I think I am ready to move onto an entree for next week!




No comments:

Post a Comment